Redbarn Pet Products, (“Redbarn” or the “Company”); located in Great Bend, Kansas is a growing manufacturer of premium dog treats. The Company’s product creativity and continuous effort to provide the highest standards of service and quality has driven the Company’s success in the pet industry.
The Research and Development Technologist will report directly to the Director of R&D.
The Research and Development Technologist is responsible for developing new products and supporting existing products. This position will develop strategic innovation for the Company by identifying emerging trends with new product offerings, developing recipes and taking them to full scale production.
- Formulating and coordinating research and development programs by introducing new products and processes into the overall company stragedy and making recommendations and implementing improvement and cost reduction of existing products;
- Planning, carrying out and supervising process trials in laboratories, pilot plants or factories;
- Scaling up the production process via plant trials, making changes to raw materials or components and process parameters to ensure quality is maintained during large scale production;
- Formulating and establishing product design and performance objectives, normally in consultation with other functions, including research, marketing and production as well as contractors, suppliers and customers;
- Assist in label copy development, including compliance with US and International Standards, ensuring that FDA and AAFCO compliant labels are created validating nutritional assumption, ingredient statements and food safety risks, allergen declarations and general labeling for all R&D test products;
- Plan and execution of product reviews, technical investigations, formulation and process improvement, new ingredient/processing technologies, process capability/control for existing products, and labeling requirements;
- Responding to customer requirements, liaising with suppliers of raw material and resolving production problems;
- Transferring new technologies across a range of product categories;
- Writing technical reports and cost estimates, documenting development work and implementing profit improvement programs;
- Generating data to substiante claims regarding safety and efficacy of new products;
- Overseeing the integration of new products with other commercial areas, including brand development, sales strategy, quality assurance, legal, marketing and manufacturing.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelors’ degree in food science or related field with 5 + years experience with demonstrated experience in leading new product ideation, food production, nutrition and recipe development.
- Broad knowledge of food science, food safety and food chemistry, specific experience with pet food products is a plus
- Expertise or education in Meat Science is a plus
- Candidate should be aggressive, ambitious and lead by example
- High energy and results-oriented with strong personal drive and a keen “sense of urgency
- Experience in leading the full cycle development of new product, including developing recipes, conducting trials, and taking product to full scale production
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation) is required, bilingual Spanish is a plus
- Strong organizational skills including time management and ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects
- Ability to identify and share observations for improvements
- Effective problem solving and decision making skills and ability to develop commercially viable customer solutions
- Ability to travel in and out of the USA to visit suppliers and the Company’s manufacturing facility located in South America-Paraguay
- Demonstrated teamwork and the ability to effectively collaborate with others
Redbarn offers a challenging work environment and a competitive compensation package.
Only qualified candidates will be considered. To apply send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Redbarn Pet Products is an Equal Opportunity Employer